Over the past few months I have been collecting ideas for the trip. How to pack? What safety items to bring? How to entertain 4 kids plus 2 adults but not bring too much? I have a sinking feeling that I am forgetting something- but not sure what it is . . .
After researching online "how to pack for a road trip", I am taking the advice and packing into bins. I have a safety bin (with jumper cables, duct tape, emergency flashers, fix a flat, first aid kit, laundry detergent, etc), a snack bin, a bin with maps and tour books (thank you AAA!), a bin with needs for the car (wipes, sunscreen, Advil, etc.), a container with towels and a set of sheets, and also a bin with the kids' summer homework! I prepped ahead and sent 2 suitcases of clothes with my mom after she visited. The only clothes we need to pack are those that we need for driving- and with that I will wash clothes at a hotel. I also have ordered our toiletries and every day items on drugstore.com and had them sent to my mom's. But now comes the odds and ends--- the Aerobed, cameras, chargers, fresh snacks (thank goodness for the electric cooler that will keep items cold without ice!), pillows, DVD's, water, and the list goes on . . . I want to have an organized car so that we can access items as needed and not fear opening a door or the trunk with the car barfing its contents.
I have tackled the minutiae- like making copies of "road trip scavenger hunts" and charts of all 50 state license plates, recording and copying all of my credit and debit cards should my wallet get stolen, making a memory binder for postcards, leaving directions for those watching our house and pets, putting away items in the house (like the items brought home at the end of school) so that I return to a fresh start, etc.
At times I am feeling overwhelmed with the packing. Other times I know that I need to trust that I have it taken care of and we will make do. As long as I have the big things (like my husband and all of the kids-- no need to re-inact "Home Alone") and my credit card- we will make it happen! The countdown is on!!!!

U r awesome
ReplyDelete